Listing cross-posted: http://www.internships.com/non-profit/health-outreach-assistant
Location: Houston, Texas
Dates: Spring, Summer, and Fall Internships available (Part-time, min. 10 hrs per week)
Salary: Unpaid/ College Credit Required
The Children's Defense Fund Leave No Child Behind® mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities.
For more than 15 years, CDF-Texas has been a leader for Texas children who cannot vote, lobby or speak for themselves. We have connected more than one million Texas children to affordable health care coverage, helped Texas youth who Beat the Odds have the opportunity to attend college, and ensured that thousands of Texas school children, young adult leaders, and parents benefit from enriching out of school time opportunities that stem the Cradle to Prison Pipeline.
CDF-Texas is committed to raising awareness about the needs of Texas children, connecting children and families to stabilizing resources, and working with partners statewide to coordinate broad support for legislative action on their behalf. The CDF All Healthy Children campaign believes that to ensure a Healthy Start for Texas children, every child must have access to affordable, comprehensive health and mental health coverage and the care they need to grow and thrive.
Collaborating with schools, businesses, media and community partners, we educate and raise awareness about affordable coverage options through CHIP, Children's Medicaid and the Healthcare.gov Marketplace, and help families apply. Our efforts to Connect Kids to Coverage have been recognized nationally and internationally and we welcome new opportunities and partnerships to reduce the number of uninsured children and families in our "highest uninsured" state of Texas.
The CDF-Texas Health Outreach Intern will learn firsthand how community programs are effectively planned, executed, and evaluated. The intern reports to the Health Outreach Program Manager and works closely with the health outreach team to attend outreach events, prepare materials, and provide important information to the community about children’s health coverage. Training will be provided.
- Coordinates with area agencies, nonprofits, and educational institutions for health outreach events.
- Assists in preparing and designing health outreach materials for events.
- Works in coordination with the health outreach team to represent CDF-Texas within the community.
- Determines appropriate locations for distribution of materials for children’s health coverage.
- Provides application assistance to families with uninsured children.
- Collects data and generate reports on health outreach activities.
- Interest in Social Work, Social Services or Public Health
- Ability to speak confidently before a crowd
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus
- Professional demeanor and the ability to work well with fellow staff, volunteers, and the public is of utmost importance
- Must be organized and have reliable transportation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Able to work a minimum of ten hours per week between the hours of 9 A.M. - 5 P.M. on weekdays. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
The intent of this internship description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by the intern. Interns may be asked to perform tasks other than those specifically described.
To apply, candidates should email a one-page cover letter describing their interest and qualifications, and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and type HEALTH OUTREACH INTERN in the subject line.