Texas is known for many things -- wide open spaces, a rugged independent spirit, and a world-class Texas Medical Center leading innovations in medical research and care.
Unfortunately, Texas is also known nationally and even internationally as the state with the worst rate of health insurance coverage. For more than ten years Texas led the nation in the rate of uninsured children under age 19. Despite significant and hard-fought recent gains in children's healthcare coverage, Texas has much work left to do in connecting kids to coverage.
Making sure that every Texas child has a healthy start in life and can see a doctor when they need to is one of our very top priorities.
Did You Know?
- Texas has the 2nd worst rate of children without health insurance in America, only recently displaced from 1st worst
- 1.2 million children under age 19 in Texas are uninsured
- More than half are eligible right now for CHIP or Children's Medicaid but are not signed up
- When children lack healthcare coverage their healthcare suffers, they delay or forgo needed care, and rely on emergency rooms where costs are high
- Nearly 90% of uninsured children live in working families, where at least one parent works full-time.
- The average cost of private family coverage is almost $1000 per month, out of reach for most working families.
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA) protected CHIP and Medicaid so that they could continue to provide good, quality coverage for kids in low- to middle- income families.
It's time to sign kids up for the affordable health coverage they qualify for and deserve
- A federal program that provides FREE health coverage
to U.S. citizen kids who qualify
- In families up to 100% of the federal poverty level
- Example: a family of 4 earning $23,050 or less
Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- A federal-state program that provides LOW-COST health
coverage to U.S. citizen children who qualify
- In families earning up to 200% of the federal poverty level
- Example: a family of 4 earning $46,100 or less
Both Programs Provide Excellent Benefits
Medical • dental • vision • mental health • immunizations • prescriptions • medical supplies • hospitalization • tests • labs • hospice care • cover pre-existing conditions • prenatal care
How to Apply
Download the application
The following items must be submitted with the application:
- Copy of a recent paycheck stub or letter from employer certifying income
- Copy of child's birth certificate
- Copy front and back of child's legal resident card (if applicable)
- Copy of child support or SSI income (if applicable)
- Copy of child care expenses (if applicable)
For more about CHIP or Children's Medicaid visit www.chipmedicaid.org